Search This Blog

Monday, January 23, 2012

Washing Woes

So, my dishwasher died a couple days ago.  We're currently waiting for it to be fixed.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I had become quite used to it.

It's one of those things which you don't fully appreciate until it's gone, I think.

Anyway, it's brought up some old memories of washing by hand.  Oh sure, I'll still do a sinkful now and again - particularly after having a large feast, or having guests over, but I remember the old days of having no other options.

I grew up with a dishwasher - I don't remember my parent's house ever not having one - but when I moved out I had some interesting things to learn (and to say) about washing dishes by hand.

Out of the 5 apartments I've ever lived in, only 2 have had dishwashers.  I think it's one of those things which isn't considered a priority, and which can eat into your water consumption quite a bit, so a lot of landlords opt out.

It is not to say that I am incapable of doing dishes by hand, in fact I think the dishes get cleaned faster than they would with the dishwasher (in which they might sit, dirty, for a day or two) just because I don't like dirty dishes sitting out.  My wife and I are quite fastidious that way.  It's more just that this brief (hopefully!) stint of hand-washing has brought back some memories.

And while the actual act of washing dishes by hand can often be meditative, I nevertheless hope my dishwasher gets fixed soon.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your dishwasher. You are right about always having a dishwasher when you were growing up ....it was an appliance that your mother could not live without....the first one purchased before you were born!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, doing dishes by hand is not unfamiliar to me, but it is nonetheless undesired! :(
    We've already got a new dishwasher lined up, which is rather prompt, but unfortunately it can't be installed until next monday.
    All in all, it is not the end of the world to do dishes for a week.
    :)

    ReplyDelete